The Nigerian presidency on Thursday, March 30, 2017 said President Muhammadu Buhari has not changed his plan to return to his physicians in London, United Kingdom for medical check-up.
Garba Shehu, a presidential spokesperson, said this in an interview with the press.
Shehu said it was not true that Buhari had decided to bring his doctors to Nigeria instead of returning to London.
The presidential spokesman however did not give details of when Buhari would return to London.
He said, “It is false news (that Buhari is no longer going to London). We are not aware of the reported advance movements.
“The last time the President spoke about this, he said he would return to his physicians after some time. We are not aware that this has changed.”
SaharaReporters, an online tabloid, reported on Thursday that Buhari had invited his doctors from the United Kingdom to Nigeria to treat his yet-to-be disclosed ailment.
The 74-year-old head of state spent 51 days on medical leave in London earlier this year, amid fears he was too ill to continue to lead one of Africa’s biggest economies.
Buhari returned to Nigeria on 10 March, temporarily ending ill-health rumours. However, soon after, the presidency said the leader was planning to travel again in April for further medical tests.
Buhari’s stay in the UK was shrouded in mystery, with many speculating the leader was not fit enough to resume office. However, the presidency always denied such allegations.
But some have claimed the leader is now working at a slow pace, meaning that economic reforms needed in the recession-hit country are not being implemented fast enough. Earlier this month, officials told Reuters Buhari now spends between one and four hours per day at his office.
Before leaving the country on 20 January, Buhari appointed Vice President Yemi Osinbajo as acting head of state.