Your kidneys serve the important function of filtering and managing the waste your body produces, so it’s essential to keep them healthy.
Although detox diets and fasts have become increasingly popular, there is little scientific evidence to suggest that they can eliminate toxins from your body.
Your liver and kidneys are very effective at doing this themselves, so you should concentrate on keeping these organs healthy, rather than fasting or detox dieting. If you do decide to try a cleansing fast, drink lots of water and eat kidney-friendly food.
- Check with your doctor first. Consult your doctor before starting a kidney cleansing fast. Depending on your current health conditions, it may not be safe. Don’t be surprised if your doctor expresses some skepticism about the benefits of your fast. She will most likely recommend you just drink more fluids and improve your diet to achieve lasting kidney-health.
- If you have diagnosed kidney problems, your doctor may prescribe a diet for you in cooperation with a dietitian.
- A kidney cleansing fast can affect medication absorption, so do not fast if you are taking any medication.
2. Drink more water. If you want to go on a kidney cleansing fast, the safest way to do it is just to increase the amount of water you drink.
Try to drink at least eight glasses of water a day to help keep your kidneys healthy. If you do opt for a kidney cleansing fast, make sure you continue to drink plenty of water.
3. Eat less refined foods. Help out your kidneys by cutting out refined and high-sodium foods. Refined carbohydrates that you should try to limit include: sweets, chocolate, cake, biscuits, and sugary drinks. Other refined foods are white breads and pasta.
- A detox diet that cuts out all highly processed foods can make you feel better in the short-term.
- For a long-term solution, opt for a balanced diet.
4. Try an apple juice cleanse. If you want a short-term method that may help cleanse your kidneys, you can attempt a fluid-only fast. One method claims that consuming three gallons of apple juice and three gallons of distilled water a day can help cleanse your kidneys and pass kidney stones.
- Apples are a good choice to help keep your kidneys healthy.
- Apples can help lower cholesterol and glucose levels, and are good source of vitamin C.
- The peel is also a good source of antioxidants.
- Be aware that bought apple juice often contains a lot of sugar.
4. Consider the “lemonade diet.” An alternative fluid cleanse is known as the “lemonade diet.” This requires you to drink a concoction of two tablespoons of lemon juice, two tablespoons of maple syrup, a tenth of teaspoon of cayenne pepper, and 1-2 cups of pure water.
- You then consume only this “lemonade” (followed by a glass of water chaser) for ten days, before reintroducing raw fruit and vegetables.
- You should have between 6 and 12 cups of the lemonade a day.
- You are also recommended to drink a laxative tea every morning.
- There is, however, no scientific evidence that such cleanses are a good approach to better sustainable health.
6. Try watermelon. Another fasting technique cited by some as a way to cleanse your kidney involves consuming a lot of watermelon. You can buy between 20 and 100 lbs of watermelon and then try to eat it throughout the day, while regularly emptying your bladder.
- If you have chronic kidney problems you should avoid this method due to the high levels of potassium in watermelon.
- You should not have more than a cup of watermelon a day if you have chronic kidney disease.
- Watermelons are around 92% water, so this fast is similar to just drinking a lot of water.
- Too much watermelon can cause health problems, so talk to your doctor first.
7. Consider a herbal cleanse. An alternative to the “lemonade diet” is a drinking a specially made herbal tea. This tea involves soaking a quarter cup of hydrangea root, gavel root and marshmallow root in ten cups of cold water. Leave it overnight and then add some boiled parsley, before bringing the whole mixture to boil and allowing it to simmer for 20 minutes.
- Once it has cooled, drink a quarter cup and then put the rest in containers.
- Each morning pour ¾ cup of the mixture and half a cup of water into a large mug.
- Add 20 drops to goldenrod tincture and a tablespoon of glycerine.
- Drink this throughout the day, but stop if you have stomach pains.