IGP Idris urges Nigerians to report any corrupt police officer on their social media platforms
He says that any police officer found wanting would be punished
Idris discloses that his administration has so far promoted over 33,000 personnel from various ranks
The Inspector-General of Police (IGP) Ibrahim Idris has asked Nigerians to expose any trace of corruption and misconduct amongst officers and men of the Force.
This comes even as he assured that any police officer found wanting would be punished.
According to Idris, the public assessment of the personnel of the force was necessary, The Nation reports.
Speaking during the inauguration of the partnership project between the police and Akin Fadeyi Foundation on an anti-corruption initiative titled, “Corruption, Not in my Country,” on Thursday, April 20, in Abuja, Idris said: “Members of the public are expected to report any police officer by using the various social media platforms set up for the purpose.”
The IG who was represented by the Deputy Inspector-General in charge of Operations, Joshak Habila, said he had instituted various programmes to make the police more accountable, responsible and reliable.
He said: “Nigerians should blow the whistle on police corruption through the various platforms we have set up on WhatsApp, Instagram, email and GSM telephone numbers.
“Please do the whistle-blowing and see what action the police would take, we will do the right thing and ensure justice.”
As part of moves to totally rid the Force of corruption, he also disclosed that his administration has so far promoted over 33,000 personnel from various ranks.
According to him, the promotion has boosted the morale of those affected, adding that it has made them discharge their duties professionally.
He said: “Since the inception of this administration, 4,410 senior officers and 28,627 Inspectors and Rank and File have been promoted. In all, 33,037 have been elevated to their next ranks.”
He added that additional list of those yet to be promoted will be considered soon.
Later, reports filtered in that the National Intelligence Agency (NIA) claimed the EFCC operation has bungled a covert security operation and that the fund actually belonged to the agency.
According to Ayo Oke, suspended director general of the NIA, the fund was approved by the Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN) during the administration of Goodluck Jonathan for an operation although this was not revealed to the new administration.
A court granted a temporary forfeiture of the fund to the federal government although President Muhammadu Buhari later ordered the money back to the CBN while preliminary investigation is being carried out.