The Nigeria Police Force on Wednesday, April 26, denied claims that documents related to the 2017 budget was taken away from the Abuja residence of Senator Danjuma Goje
The police said reports that 2017 budget document were taken away from the senators house during a search operation is false, misleading and capable of misinforming Nigerians
It also said a search warrant was duly obtained from a court of competent jurisdiction for the search which was professionally conducted
The Nigeria Police Force on Wednesday, April 26, denied claims that documents related to the 2017 budget was taken away from the Abuja residence of Senator Danjuma Goje.
The police said reports that 2017 budget document were taken away from the senators house during a search operation is false, misleading and capable of misinforming Nigerians.
The police in a statement released by its spokesperson Jimoh Moshood said a search warrant was duly obtained from a court of competent jurisdiction for the search which was professionally conducted
Moshood said the search was carried out at No. 10 Haile Salasie Street, Asokoro District, Abuja following intelligence report that large sum of money suspected to be stolen public funds and other incriminating items are about to be moved out of the senator house.
“It is worthy of note that on arrival of the Police team to Senator Danujma Goje’s house, the house keeper Ango Usman informed the Senator of the presence and mission of the team and he promised coming but later switched off his phone,” Moshood said.
“The search warrant was successfully executed in the presence of three close relatives of Senator Danjuma Goje who are residing in the house and the recoveries were made in their presence.
He said the three relatives – Danjuma Mohammed, Gje’s nephew, Ango Usman, his house keeper and Aisha Umar, Goje’s step daughter – opened the house and took the police team round the building, and endorsed their signatures after the completion of the search.
He further listed items recovered from the senator’s house which he said will be made available for inspection by any interested member of the public.
“For avoidance of doubt, the followings are the sum of money both in local and foreign currencies, vital documents and a Laptop recovered for investigation when the search warrant was executed in the house of Senator Danjuma Goje,” Moshood added.
“The Nigeria Police Force wishes to state categorically that there was no single document relating to 2017 budget sighted or removed by the police team that executed the search warrant. There is video recording of the execution of the search warrant.
The inspector general of police honoured the invitation of the National Assembly on 26th April, 2017 to explain the legality of the search warrant that was executed in the house of Senator Danjuma Goje on the 20th of April, 2017.
Further investigation is currently ongoing into the matter. Police actions are in line with the provisions of Sec. 4 & 28 of Police Act and Regulations as mentioned in paragraph 2 above and consistent with Sec. 9 & 144 of the Administration of Criminal Justice Act 2015,” he said.
Below are the items recovered from Senator Goje’s residence as listed by the police below:
- Cash sum of Eighteen Million and Fifty Six Thousand Naira (₦18,056,000) only
- Cash sum of Nineteen Thousand Eight Hundred and Fifty (19,850 US Dollars)
- Cash sum of Nine Thousand Four Hundred (SR9, 400) Saudi Riyal
- Thirty Eight files and six envelopes containing documents some of which are listed below
- File on funds spent on security administration and information gathering– a-g – 2009
- File on release of funds for special operations a- f – 2009
- File on Gombe state Government of Nigeria cash inflow 2005 – File on Project 2007
- Executive Briefs on how to fight opposition in Gombe state
- Strategies and Tactics – Envelopes containing permit to operate as an Oil Industry Service Company (special categories) 2011
- A file containing write-ups on how Governor Shekarau plotted the assassination of Sheikh Jafaru
- Letters from Alhaji Mohammed Danjuma Goje (Sarkin Yakin Gombe) to the MD LUBELL Nigeria Ltd of proposed residential Devt at Kashere Phase II dated 16/01/2007 and 19/11/2010.