The federal government agreed to publish names of Nigerian looters
This is coming after a Federal Court gave an order
The minister of justice said it will follow the order given by the court
The federal government has agreed to publish the names of looters of Nigeria’s treasury following a order issued by a Federal High court in Lagos.
We had earlier reported that the court ordered the President Muhammadu Buhari’s government to list names of suspected looters.
The court enjoined the government to immediately release names of high-ranking public officials from whom public funds were recovered.
The order was made on Wednesday, July 4, by Hon Justice Hadiza Rabiu Shagari after a freedom of information suit number: FHC/CS/964/2016 brought by Socio-Economic Rights and Accountability Project (SERAP).
Mr. Abubakar Malami who is the minister of justice and the attorney-general of the federation confirmed later in the day after the federal executive council meeting that the government agrees with the court decision.
He said the government would carry out the order as long as it does not violate any court rules.
Timothy Adewale, SERAP deputy director who argued the case on behalf of SERAP and was in court this morning when the judgment was delivered said “This is a victory for justice, rule of law, transparency and accountability in this country.
”The judgment shows the way forward in the fight against corruption and impunity of perpetrators.
”We will do everything within the law to ensure full compliance by President Mohammadu Buhari and Acting President Osinbajo with this landmark judgment.
”It would be recalled that the Ministry of Information last year published details of the recoveries, which showed that the Nigerian government successfully retrieved total cash amount N78,325,354,631.82, $185,119,584.61, £3,508,355.46 and €11, 250 between May 29, 2015 and May 25, 2016.
”Also released were recoveries under interim forfeiture, which were a combination of cash and assets, during the same period: N126,563,481,095.43, $9,090,243,920.15, £2,484,447.55 and €303,399.17.
”Anticipated repatriation from foreign countries totalled: $321,316,726.1, £6,900,000 and €11,826.11.
”The ministry also announced that 239 non-cash recoveries were made during the one-year period.
”The non-cash recoveries are farmlands, plots of land, uncompleted buildings, completed buildings, vehicles and maritime vessels.
”Subsequently, SERAP was issued an FOI request and gave the Minister of Information, Alhaji Lai Muhammed 14 days to disclose the names of all suspected looters.”