Apply Now-United States of America Online Embassy Scholarship Award for International Student 2018
From 1st April 2018, the application opens for US Embassy Awards Scholarships 2018/2019. There are
two categories of Award: US Embassy Awards Scholarships, to undertake higher degree studies in
United States at Masters level. And US Embassy Awards Short Courses, to undertake short-term, targeted
professional training courses, in the United States and/or in Africa, in a range of development-focused
About the Award: United States Embassy Awards, a cornerstone of the US Government’s development
assistance program for Africa, provide access to postgraduate education, training and professional
development opportunities for suitably qualified Africans from eligible countries. On their return to the
workplace, US Embassy Awards Alumni are expected to contribute actively to development in their home countries.
Offered annually? Yes
To be taken at: United States Universities.
Priority Fields (varies by African country)
- Agriculture/Food Security
- Public Policy (including public sector management, public sector reform, trade, international diplomacy)
- Environmental Management
- Natural Resource Management (including mining-related subjects)
- Technical and Vocational Education & Training (available for Short Courses only)
- Energy (including Natural Gas and Oil Technology)
- Natural Resource Management
- Transport (including Ports, Roads and Airports Management)
Eligible Countries: Algeria, Angola, Benin, Botswana, Burkina Faso, Burundi, Cameroun, Cape Verde,
Comoros, Congo(Republic of), Djibouti, Egypt, Ethiopia, The Gambia, Ghana, Kenya, Lesotho, Liberia, Libya,
Malawi, Mali, Mauritius, Morocco, Mozambique, Namibia, Nigeria, Rwanda, Sao Tome & Principe, Senegal,
Seychelles, Sierra Leone, South Africa, Swaziland, Tanzania, Togo, Tunisia, Uganda, Zambia etc.
In addition to the above, the following countries are eligible for Short Course Awards (SCAs)
Gabon, Mauritania, Niger, North Sudan, Republic of Guinea, South Sudan
Eligibility: Varies by country (see link below for specific country eligibility criteria)
- You must be at least 25 and not more than 50 years of age at the date of your application.
- You must have at least three (3) years’ relevant post graduate work experience. This work experience
must be in a role relevant to your proposed field of study and to your employment organization type
(e.g. public sector applicants should demonstrate public sector work experience, and so on). Preference
will be given to candidates with greater periods of experience.
- You possess, as a minimum, a Bachelors degree (or the equivalent) from a recognized Institution of at
least 4 years in length with at least a 3rd Class Pass.
Masters Degree Scholarships Apply for Scholarship
- Undergraduate Scholarship Scholarship Application Public sector candidates must comply with Government of Nigeria regulations for government
employees wishing to apply for scholarships.
- The public sector, private sector and civil society candidates must provide evidence of completion of the
National Youth Service Corp (NYSC) when they apply.
- You must not already hold, or be studying for, a Masters degree.
- You must be willing to make a formal commitment to return to your current employment following
completion of the award.
- You must meet the general minimum eligibility criteria for Australia Awards Scholarships – refer to the
Australia Awards Scholarships policy handbook.
- You are a national of an African country. See country list below
- You are an early or mid-career professional working in the Public Sector, the Private Sector or a Nongovernment
Organization (Civil Society) in one of the listed priority fields of study.
- You wish to undertake a Masters degree in Australia in one of the listed priority fields of study. You
cannot study a Masters of Business Administration.
- You have a clear vision for how you will use the knowledge gained through the Masters degree to
improve policy, practice or education in the proposed field of study.
- Gender Equality: Australia Awards target equal participation by women and men. Applications from
women are strongly encouraged, and mechanisms are in place to support women applicants and
- Disability Inclusion: Australia Awards aim to ensure that people with a disability are given fair and equal
opportunity to compete for and obtain a scholarship. Applications from people with a disability are
strongly encouraged. Mechanisms are in place to support applicants and Awardees requiring specific
Number of Scholarships: Up to 10,000
Value of Scholarships: This is a Full government sponsored scholarship
Duration of Scholarship: For the duration of the programme
Select your country of origin. Follow the specific instruction on the page.
Sponsors: US Embassy Awards in Africa, an initiative of the United States Government.